Aphorisms for Heretics
In keeping with the spirit of the ‘Practical heretic’, the following are a few thoughts about religion in general. Some are obvious, some are less so, but all have at least the quality of (hopefully) being thought-provoking. It’s good to think, the exercise is good for the mind. I hope you enjoy them, and I would appreciate reading your own thoughts and comments on any that catch your eye.
1. God is infinite, Humans are finite; no human is equipped to understand the infinite.
2. No Scripture ever was delivered from Heaven already printed.
3. Prophets should keep their mouths shut.
4. All Religions are equally right and equally wrong.
5. Never trust anyone who tells you to check your brains at the door.
6. Willful stupidity is common, but that doesn’t make it right.
7. Never stop thinking.
8. Never stop learning.
9. Killing someone over a religious dispute will not change their mind.
10. ‘If’ and ‘why’ are the two most dangerous words in any language; use them often.
11. Authority should be questioned often, and the answers checked.
12. Women have souls.
13. Men have souls.
14. Humans have sex. It’s natural. Deal with it intelligently.
15. Stupid mistakes are regular occurrences; fix them as quickly as possible.
16. Respect must be earned.
17. Loyalty must be given intelligently, and withdrawn when necessary.
18. Ask questions and listen to answers.
19. Love is the highest good.
20. When proof is available, ‘faith’ is not needed.
21. Life is a process, not a result.
22. Hatred and grudges are a waste of energy. You have better things to do, I hope.
23. Murder is common, but that doesn’t make it right.
24. The definition of what constitutes ‘sin’ changes from place to place and in different times.
25. Dogma is for people who have stopped thinking
26. The Infinite includes everything, even the things you don’t like.
27. A true God has no need to be defended by humans.
28. Be practical; the bills must be paid.
29. Be honest, it’s easier.
30. People gravitate to the gods they can handle.
31. ‘God’ has no religion.
32. Tolerance is challenging.
33. Help where you can.
34. Accept help when you need it.
35. You are responsible for the care and feeding of your own soul, no one else’s.
36. Pointing out other people’s faults does not change your own.
37. Happiness is a conscious choice.
38. Accept responsibility.
39. Forgive yourself first.
40. You cannot quantify a deity.
41. There is no mercy in nature, but nothing is wasted, either.
42. Polytheists do not start religious wars.
43. Monotheism is impossible–every person has their own definition of God.
44. The difference between a ‘cult’ and a ‘religion’ is social acceptance.
As thoughts occur to me I may be adding to the list, or you may have suggestions for others. Please let us know what you think? Have a great weekend, folks, and may you find your peace.